The Axbridge Town Hall
Axbridge Town Trust own and are responsible for the management and
letting of the Town Hall in the south east corner of The Square.
In the medieval period Axbridge was run by a Guild. The “Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary” had a Guild Hall which has been absorbed partly into the Lamb Inn and partly as “The Old Guildhall.” In 1830 a new Town Hall was erected with a Courthouse and Council Chamber on the first floor and a large ground floor area, which could be used for many functions, including, a weekly market. To pay for the Town Hall many properties owned by the Corporation were placed on 1,000 year leases, although budget over-run meant that additional money had to be borrowed to complete its financing.
The present building is Grade II listed and retains most of
the original features, including a balcony from which Victorian
burgesses of Axbridge can be seen in an early photograph.
Courthouse (shown here) is currently rented out to the Axbridge and
District Museum Trust, in conjunction with the Axbridge Archaeological
and Local History Society. The Council Chamber is used for mainly Council
Meetings and Town Trust Meetings, although it can be hired for specific functions.
Hire of the Hall
The Town Trust is always looking for ways to maximise the use of this facility by the local community to ensure that it can be preserved for future generations. If you would like to hire the Hall on a regular basis, or for a one-off event, please access our Bookings page.